by Sous Chef Howard Kalachnikoff, Gramercy Tavern
Fennel, Olives and Fingerling Potatoes
For Fish Fork, Place Knife, Sauce Spoon:
For the Striped Bass:
- • Striped Bass is pan-roasted with butter, veg stock, garlic and thyme
- • Fennel Puree (fennel, shallots, garlic, leeks, potatoes, cream, Riviera)
- • Sautéed fennel battons, halved fingerlings, purple potatoes (shallots, olive oil, salt, lemon), halved Taggiasca olives
- • Shaved raw fennel, shaved lightly picked fennel and fennel fronds
- • Taggiasca olive oil (Taggiasca olives blended in their own oil)
Roasted Potatoes & Fennel
- • 4 oz portions
- • Pan roast with butter, veg stock, garlic, thyme and lemon; cook for 3 minutes on the first side over medium heat, and then 1 minute basting on the second side
Glazed Leeks & Olives
- • Fingerling potatoes, cooked in salted water, peeled, halved, stored in olive oil, seared until golden brown on pan
- • Purple potatoes, cooked in salted water, cut in ½” rounds, seared on pan
- • Fennel batons, 1” long, roasted on pan
- • Shallot, minced
- • Lemon juice
- • Leek whites, cut on slight bias ½“ thick, dressed in olive oil & salt, steamed in combi at 86° C for about 12 minutes or until just cooked, glazed to order with butter, veg stock, lemon juice
- • Black olive oil, taggaisca olives blended in vitaprep with some of their oil
- • Fennel, shaved thin, raw
- • Fennel, shaved thin, cold pickled in half rice wine vinegar, half water
- • Fennel fronds
Fennel Leek Puree
|2½||qt||Fennel, Core Removed, Medium Diced
|2||qt||Leek Whites, Sliced
|1||pt||Kennebeck or Yukon Potato, Peeled, Medium Diced
|-||-||Salt & White Pepper
- 1. In a medium rondeau, sweat fennel, leek whites, shallots and garlic with olive oil and salt, no color. Cook until vegetables begin to soften.
- 2. Add potato. Season. Cook another 5 minutes.
- 3. Add heavy cream and turn heat down to low. Allow to slightly reduce and thicken without scorching the bottom of the pan.
- 4. Add vegetable stock to cover. Simmer for about 30 minutes, until all vegetables are completely soft.
- 5. Blend in a vitaprep in batches, streaming in grapeseed oil to each blender. Pass through a chinois.
- 6. Adjust consistency with veg stock. Season with salt, white pepper and lemon juice.