Design Genius Feature: Marta ValdespinoAlthough Marta was the first designer to be eliminated from the competition, this Spanish Señorita has left a memorable impression in the show. Let us get to know Marta know with this Q&A session we had with her during the show.
In my case, I started because of my aunt's influence. She loves fashion and when I was young, I knew most of the designers from her.
When I was 7 years old, I knew that I wanted to be a fashion designer when I started to design clothes for my Barbie dolls.
2. Who's your favorite designer? Who is your style icon(s) and why?
My favorite designer is of course, the best Nicolas Ghesquiere. When I discovered him, I could to see that he is a cool hunter, complete designer and stylish in the BAlenciaga Brand (even if he is now leaving this brand).
My icons are: Alexa Chung, Diana Kruger, Andreu Hepburn. They have style very similar that I want to get with my clothes.
3. What's your design aesthetic or design style? How would you define your style?
You need to get harmony in all looks. This is the secret for go perfect: The balance.
My style can be defined as elegant, refined, simple but with a little detail for make it special.
4. Tell us about your design process. How do you come up with your designs?
The first step is to search for one inspiration. After doing the sketches, I go ahead and choose the fabrics and the lines needed in the collection.
5. Before coming to the show, what’s the weirdest or most unconventional material you have worked with to design a garment or an art piece?
Using leaves of trees.
6. What's your favorite challenge / piece of design on the show?
I love making the dresses.
7. If you were the winner of Design Genius, what will you do with the $25,000 prize?
Of course! I would invest it to make a new collection with good quality and marketing.
8. What’s the biggest, most important lesson you've learned throughout the competition?
Winning is not the most important thing. You must enjoy the experience every time.
9. What does fashion mean to you?
That is the manner for me to be showcased to the world, through fashion.
And do you have any other passions besides fashion?
I have passion for books about Psychology.
10. Is there anything you’d like to share with us about any upcoming project(s)?
I hope can to start to distribute my brand in Philippines soon
“I consider myself a very skilled and dedicated professional, capable of carrying out any work in any field of fashion. I have the ability to learn very fast, I can develop creative work and I have total availability”
After a Psychology degree in 2007 she decided to attend the Industrial and computer pattern design title in Valladolid School design, which she graduate in 2011. She worked as a Stylist for several TV series, and as a Fashion Designer for firms until she created her own brand in 2008. Marta aims to make her mark as an international clothing company and as a trend design stylist.
In Sep 2010 she’s been selected to participate in ego Cibeles Fashion week. She was also selected to participate in 2010 September’s edition of EGO-CIBELES MADRID FASHION WEEK, GIJON FASHION WEEK in May 2010, and Spring-Summer collection in SIMM fair in Madrid in February 2010. In 2011 she had a stand in Paris, which allowed her to open her brand to new markets like Kuwait, New York and Paris.